Monday, April 25, 2016

Who Could That Be Ringing on My Phone?


Recently I saw a segment of a stand up routine in which comedian Sebastian Maniscalco talks about having someone show up at your front door. I'll post the video below so you can take it in in all of its glory, but in a nutshell:
We used to be excited when someone showed up at our door, but now if someone just shows up unexpected it is a truly terrifying experience. Similarly, we feel the same way about phone calls. I remember being younger, before texting, and getting really excited when someone would call me. But now your phone rings and you just stare....
Why is this person calling me? They could have just texted me! WHY? WHY? WHY?!?!?!
You see what I'm saying? Sebastian Maniscalco got me thinking. How have we gotten to a point where a phone call or a surprise visitor is unwelcome and unwanted? Is it social media? Our ability to communicate in the blink of an eye? I think it's odd. Let's bring back showing up at a friend or relatives door because we were "in the neighborhood." How about we start calling each other instead of just texting?


1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness this is hilarious but so true!! Just the other day someone unexpectedly rang my doorbell and I was freaking out!! It is funny to think that when we were younger we knew that if someone was ringing the doorbell it was to ask to play but now I am terrified whenever I hear it ring. For the phone calls, I actually like when people call me instead of text because I hate texting. Everything gets lost in translation and then I end up stop responding...oops

    ReplyDelete