Sunday, April 17, 2016

Big Brother? But I'm an only child....

Social media is a great place for us to express who we are, the things we like, and for us to joke around with our peers. We trust that we can be ourselves on the internet or on our social media pages. But this is simply not so. With employers and schools checking your social media pages in order to deem you a worth candidate for their attention is completely irrational. My private life should be just that....PRIVATE!
When I was in high school I remember my parents, counselors, and teachers advising us on watching what we post on social media if we have any intention of going to a good school or getting a well paying job. But social media is supposed to be a part of my private life, so why should what I do socially effect my job status.
The theory that was taught to me was that if you are reckless in your social life then you will also be reckless in your work/school environment. This just isn't true and if anything just proves that we now live in a world where we aren't able to escape our jobs and relax. I don't want to have to always be on edge that I might get fired for going out and having a good time at a bar or a party. Andrews makes a very sound claim in restricting organizational use of our social media pages. I have a private life from my school and work and frankly I intend to keep it that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment